When most people think of an electric shaver, one of the first products that come to mind is a Braun shaver. For years, Braun has been among the most innovative and top selling shaver brands around the world. Apart from appearance, most people are attracted to Braun shavers because of the solid engineering and high-quality shave they provide. Today there are five Braun series, some with multiple models, and some Braun shavers that are not a part of any Braun series. It can be difficult to find the differences between all of these models, so we are going to lay out the differences our recommendations for the best model in each series.
Braun Series 9
Released in 2015, the Series 9 includes all of Braun’s most innovative features and technologies. Braun has taken many of the elements that made the Series 7 our top shaver and improved them where possible. The Series 9 adds another cutting element and more power making the shaver more effective at cutting through longer stubble and requiring fewer passes over the same area. The Series 9 increases the number of oscillations from 10,000 oscillations per minute to 40,000 oscillations per minute allowing the shaver to be more effective at cutting hairs of different lengths at the same time instead of requiring multiple passes.
Just like the Series 5 and Series 7, the Series 9 has a pivoting head and flexible cutting elements which can be locked into one of five positions to assist in getting a great shave.If you typically go more than a day between shaves you should consider the Series 9 to ensure you get a comfortable and close shave, even through longer stubble. One thing to keep in mind is that the Series 9 is slightly larger than the previous models, possibly making it slightly uncomfortable holding it in some positions. We do not think this will be an issue for most people, but some users have had complaints with the size. Ultimately everything we said about the Series 7 can be said about the Series 9. The two shavers provide a great shave with a slight edge to the Series 9. We put the Series 9 just behind the Series 7 in our recent roundup, simply due to the price difference between the models.
Read our full Braun Series 9 review [wpsm_list type=”bullet”]
- Improved Pulsonic Technology and More Shaving Power
- More Effective At Cutting Through Longer Stubble
- Extra Cutting Element Ensures More Hair Cut Per Pass
Braun Series 9-9095cc Men's Wet/Dry Shaving and Cleaning System
- Hygienically cleans, charges, lubricates, selects cleaning program and dries at the touch of a button-so your shaver feels like new everyday
- Cleans more hygienically than tap water, noticeably more comfortable on skin
- Charges for maximum battery power at all times, lubricates with each cleaning for longer lasting cutting efficiency
- Intelligent program selection for optimal fluid consumption, extra fast drying with built-in fan
- World's only 5-action alcohol-based clean and charge station
Braun Series 7
The Braun Series 7 has consistently been among the top performing and top selling electric shavers since Braun released the model over six years ago. Just like the Series 5 the Series 7 utilizes three cutting elements and OptiFoil technology, but adds Braun’s innovative sonic technology and upgrades the clean and charge station. The Series 7 excellent shave quality can be attributed to its most innovative feature, Intelligent Pulsonic technology. This technology allows the electric shaver to perform up to 10,000 oscillations per minute allowing for a closer and faster shave. The sonic technology and ActiveLift technology is very effective in capturing hair that may grow in different directions or may be lying down. The Series 7 is also equipped with a faster and more powerful motor which is particularly effective in shaving stubble and completing your shave much quicker.
While some of the lower models include a clean and charge station, the Series 7 adds a drying step at the end of the process to ensure the shaver is ready for use. Note that this feature is not active when using the quick clean option, which allows the shaver to be cleaned in about 25 seconds. The station can automatically sense the hygiene level of the shaver to recommend the correct cleaning cycle to perform. The only downside to these automatic cleaning stations is the requirement to replace the refills which can add up over time.
The Series 7 also includes personalization modes that are not available on the lower models allowing you to choose the speed of the cutting elements. There are three settings to choose from including Extra Sensitive, Normal, and Intensive. We have found these options to be effective in allowing a comfortable shave on the neck while allowing a fast shave on the face.
We have the Series 7 as the top shaver in our recent electric shaver rankings due to its excellent mix of features and performance. With the release of the Series 9 in 2015, the Series 7 was displaced from the top spot in the Braun lineup, and it has become an even better deal. With the drop in price and a similar shave quality to the Series 9, we recommend the Series 7 for most users.
Read our full Braun Series 7 review [wpsm_list type=”bullet”]
- Pulsonic Technology Provides Better Shave Over Lower Models
- Personalization Options Ensure Comfortable AND Close Shave
- Increased Power and Speed Deals Better With Stubble
- Clean and Charge Station Also Dries Shaver
Braun Series 7 790cc-4 Electric Foil Shaver with Clean and Charge Station
- Intelligent Sonic technology automatically increases power in difficult areas and on denser hair
- ActiveLift trimmer captures flat-lying hairs in problem areas
- OptiFoil cuts hair as short as 0.05mm for perfect closeness
- Synergized foil and blades give you a perfect shave
- 100% waterproof shaver for easy cleaning
Braun Series 5
The Series 5 uses Braun’s FlexMotion technology, allowing the shaving head to pivot and contour to the face. The Series 5 uses three cutting blades like most of the other models in the Braun line, except the Series 9, combined with their CrossBlade technology to provide a close shave. With the recent upgrade in power, we have found that the Series 5 shave quality can be similar to the Series 7 with patience and a few extra passes. Despite the recent power increase, the Series 5 struggles with longer stubble or thicker hair. For this reason, you should step up to the Series 9 or consider a rotary shaver if you typically go two to three days between shaves.
Like the other Braun series, some models offer the ability to wet and dry shave while others include a clean and charge station. The cleaning station on the Series 5 does not include the automatic dry feature available on the Series 7 and Series 9 shavers. While this is a small differentiator, it does make a difference if you need to run the cleaning cycle right before shaving. Just like the Series 7 the LCD screen can display both hygiene status and battery level. The shave quality is not the only close similarity to the Series 7, the price of the two models are very close as well. For that reason, we recommend stepping up to the Series 7 for the small price difference to ensure you consistently get the best shave and newer features. [wpsm_list type=”bullet”]
- LCD Displays Hygiene Status and Battery Level
- Pivoting Head Contours Better To Face Than Lower Models
- Clean and Charge Stand Does Not Include Automatic Dry Feature
- Struggles With Longer Stubble
Braun Series 5 5090cc Electric Shaver With Cleaning Center
- World's #1 Foil Shaver Brand. *Based on global Braun value share in electric foil shaver market from May 2013 to April 2014. Source: Leading market research institute
- Official Electric Shaver of the NFL
- New & improved Braun Series 5 succeeds where others fail. Maximum performance and skin comfort. Even in problem areas.
- 3X better adaptation. New FlexMotionTec delivers efficient shaving with less pressure, minimizing skin irritation.
- 20% more motor power. New PowerDrive ensures high-speed cutting, even on dense beards.
Braun Series 3
If you are looking for a cheap, branded, and efficient shaver, then the Braun Series 3 line is your best bet. It comes with a price tag of an entry-level men’s shaver but boasts some features shared with some of Braun’s high-end shavers. These shavers won’t include top of the line features or accessories, and the shaving performance does not meet the Series 7 and Series 9 level but for the price they merit consideration.
The Series 3 uses a triple three action float system for a close and comfortable shave. Unlike the Series 9 or Series 7 that utilize the sonic technology or the Series 5 that uses the FlexMotion technology, the Series 3 may require multiple passes to ensure an even shave. The Series 3 has contouring cutting foils, but the head does not contour making it harder to shave the neck and jawline areas than the higher Series models.
There are many shavers in the Series 3 lineup, but we recommend stepping up to the Series 5 or Series 7 if you are looking at the more expensive models. Our pick from the Series 3, the Braun 3040s, allows you to shave in wet or dry conditions and is 100% waterproof. It does not include a clean and charge station, but for users looking for an entry level shaver that may be an unnecessary feature. If you are looking for an entry level shaver or budget shaver, the Series 3 offers a good shave and warranty for a very fair price. [wpsm_list type=”bullet”]
- Smaller LED Display Than Higher Models, Only Displays Battery Status
- Slightly Heavier (1.2 pounds) Than Series 5, 7, or 9
- Non-Pivoting Head
- Slightly Shorter Battery Life (45 Minutes)
Braun Series 3 3040 Wet and Dry Shaver
[wpsm_box type=”yellow” float=”none” text_align=”left”]
Note: There is no difference between the Series 3 and the Old Spice Shaver, also available at many retailers. If you prefer a red shaver over Braun’s black and blue scheme, seek out the Old Spice model instead.
Other Braun shavers
Braun has released some other shavers that are designed with unique features or intended to meet a specified price point. Most of these shavers compete with the Series 3 and Series 5 shavers and come with both advantages and disadvantages over their closest models. If you know you will be using an electric shaver in a way that will benefit from these features, you may want to consider one of the shavers below.
Braun WaterFlex Wet & Dry Shaver
The WaterFlex shavers are an excellent option for people who know they would like to use their shaver in the shaver and want a budget shaver. The WaterFlex shavers are completely waterproof and feature a rubber handle that is easier to handle when wet. Just like some of the other Braun models you can use these shavers with shaving cream if you find it more comfortable. While the WaterFlex features a pivoting head, the cutting elements do not flex meaning it may require multiple passes to get all hairs. In Braun’s lineup, the WaterFlex falls between the Series 3 and Series 5, and performance wise we would agree.
Braun Waterflex Wet and Dry Shaver
- Worlds No 1 Foil Shaver Brand *Based on global Braun value share in electric foil shaver market from May 2013 to April 2014. Source: Leading market research institute
- Official Electric Shaver of the NFL
- For an unbeatably close*, smooth feeling. Works with foam. (*Tested against leading competitive products in the same class)
- Wet and Dry, for flexibility to shave where and how you want
- Head swivels 33 degrees for ultimate adaptation around jaw, chin and neck.
Braun CoolTec Shaver
Braun’s CoolTec shaver is designed to address one of the most common complaints electric shavers receive, the heat that is generated from the cutting elements. This heat makes can make it difficult or uncomfortable to shave certain areas including the neck area. The CoolTec shavers incorporate a cooling element to provide a shave that may be more comfortable for users with sensitive skin or have had a problem using electric shavers in the past. Just like the WaterFlex, the CoolTec also falls between the Series 3 and Series 5 in price and performance.
Braun Cool Tec Men's Shaver
- Active cooling technology automatically cools the skin while you shave.
- Adaptable 3-stage cutting system includes shaving elements that move independently over every facial contour.
- SensoBlade technology captures hairs growing in different directions for ultimate smoothness.
- Wet and Dry shaver that can be used in the shower.
- Precision Trimmer.
It’s hard to compare the Series 1 to any of Braun’s other shavers. While it is the cheapest shaver that Braun makes, its performance is severely limited by its lack of features and cutting elements. The shaving quality can not be compared to any of the models we reviewed earlier, as it only has one cutting element while the others have at least three. Ultimately the Series 1 is a travel shaver at best. If you are looking for a good shave from a Braun shaver, consider one of the other models instead.
Braun Smart Control 190s-1 Cordless Shaver
- Cordless shaving convenience - Up to 30 minutes cordless shaving.
- Patented SmartFoil captures problem area hair for an effortless close shave
- 100% washable cleaning
- Long hair precision trimmer
- Risk-free 45 day money back guarantee
As you can see, Braun makes many different lines and models of electric shavers. For the best shaving performance, we would recommend either the Series 7 or Series 9 shavers. If either of those shavers is above your budget, you should consider the Series 5, Series 3, or one of the cheaper models available from Panasonic, Philips, or Remington.